The Hastings Prince Edward Health Unit is reporting another increase in COVID-19 cases, bringing the local tally to 24.
The latest update on Tuesday reports there are also 287 probable cases and one death linked to the virus.
The health unit announced last Thursday there are outbreaks at two long-term care facilities. The first at Hastings Manor in Belleville involves two staff members who tested positive for COVID-19. Another employee at Hallowell House in Prince Edward County tested positive for the virus. The health unit said the individuals as well as close contacts are self-isolating at home.
“Public Health is working closely with both Hastings Manor and Hallowell House and have contacted individuals who were identified as close contacts,” said Medical Officer of Health Dr. Piotr Oglaza. “This reinforces the reality of COVID-19
Earlier last week, it was confirmed staff members at BGH exposed to a COVID-19 positive patient. On Friday, an outbreak was declared at Belleville General Hospital’s Quinte 5 unit after two patients tested positive for COVID-19.
In a statement from QHC, Communications spokeswoman Susan Rowe said that, as the Ministry of Health has declared that one or more cases of COVID-19 in a hospital meets the definition of an outbreak, outbreak control measures have been instituted at QHC, in addition to the regular infection control and COVID-19 screening measures.
Prior to that, in an open letter to the Trenton community, Kruger Products stated that “one of our very own” has tested positive for COVID-19 and is at home.
The letter, signed by Kruger Products General Manager John O’Hara states that with guidance from Hastings Prince Edward Public Health the company immediately advised all employees working in the same area to self-isolate for 14 days.
In Haliburton, Kawartha Pine Ridge there are 68 cases, 13 in Northumberland. Numerous long-term care facilities have become hot spots for the virus, most notably Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon. As many as 23 residents of the 65-bed facility have died of COVID-19. At least 24 staff members at the facility have also tested positive for COVID-19.
There are 53 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Kingston Frontenac Lennox and Addington.
Ontario reported another 25 deaths from COVID-19 on Sunday, raising the province’s toll to 119.
By Sunday night 4,038 cases of the novel coronavirus had been reported in the province.
More than 150 of the people currently infected are on ventilators, and 1,449 cases of COVID-19 have been resolved.
The province has expanded its telehealth services to assist Ontarians with protection, what to do if you’re sick after you travel and how to recognize possible symptoms. Click here for the latest Tele-Health information.
For the latest information from the federal government click here.