Ontario’s Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism, and Culture says her ministry was the first hit, the hardest hit, and will take the longest to recover after the COVID pandemic.
On Thursday morning in Belleville, Lisa MacLeod was joined by local dignitaries to announce $630,000 for local arts and tourism. Of that funding, $280,000 came from the Community Museum Operating Grants, the Celebrate Ontario program, and the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
MacLeod says the COVID pandemic has hit in several ways.
She adds that millions of dollars have been put into marketing provincially, hundreds of thousands locally.
Belleville Mayor Mitch Panciuk says the funding is coming at a welcome time, and for a vital sector of life.
Bay of Quinte MPP Todd Smith says the region needs these provincial dollars.
Some of the money went to the following
- $34,293 for Glanmore National Historic Site
- $25,664 to the Festival Players of Prince Edward County to support their 2020 theatre season
- $27,550 for the Empire Theatre for their Summerfest (former Rockfest) event
- $11,965 for the Mariners Park Museum
- $29,183 to the Macaulay Heritage Park